Seeking inspired leaders to join Girl Guides of Canada–Guides du Canada Board of Directors
A better world, by girls
Now read it again. A better world…pause…by girls. When we launched our new vision in 2017 that comma was instrumental to our vision. That pause strategically elevates the importance of girls to our world and our organization. The girl must be at the centre of everything we do.
Girl Guides of Canada–Guides du Canada (GGC) is searching for four to five (4-5) new Directors for our Board who can steward our staff, adult members and girls to fulfill this vision and our mission to be a catalyst for girls empowering girls. Through passionate, professional and focused leadership, we can ensure GGC is relevant and sustainable well into the future as a truly girl-driven organization. Every girl in Canada deserves a safe space where she can discover herself to be everything she wants to be.
This is an exciting time to be part of our organization, as we grow our membership and evolve our offering to ensure it is relevant and essential for girls in Canada. Are you willing to lead this journey of ambitious transformational change?
What we need from you
We need Board members with passion, experience and commitment from diverse communities.
Diversity – We are committed to ensuring that our Board reflects the richness of human diversity and the Canadian population. In addition to wide and varied skills, interests, and experiences, we want a diverse Board with regards to race, ethnicity, age and varied lived experiences. We seek to ensure that the decisions and directions from the Board consider all the various perspectives that are essential, as the Board stewards GGC to be the place where every girl is empowered to be everything she wants to be. Diverse applicants will be prioritized in the application process.
Experience – We know that delivering on our strategic priorities will require added professional skills and strengths from our new Directors to support our Leadership team in areas of:
- COVID-19 recovery and growth – You are knowledgeable about the short-term and long-term impacts, opportunities, challenges, and trends of COVID-19 and understand what impact it has had on the not-for-profit sector. You can bring supportive insights, connections, and experience.
- Financial Stewardship and Executive Business Acumen – You have strong business acumen and can understand the trends behind the numbers. You can position an organization for growth, and love analysis and ensuring compliance.
- Girl Pedagogy - You understand and have professional experience that demonstrates your knowledge of the wide-range of theories and leading practices that create change that is impactful in improving the lives of girls.
- Governance – Though you have worked at the operational level, you understand and have experience working on Boards. You understand the role of the Board and what it needs to accomplish, in order to truly excel in championing the strategic plan. You see the path needed to reach success and can support management accordingly.
- Country-wide change – Canada is big and change can be hard. Let us learn from your past successes in large transformational change management endeavors.
- Influence in Indigenous, and underrepresented youth populations – You have experience working with diverse groups of youth, you understand that differences are our strength and have the networks and know-how to create meaningful engagements and partnerships.
Commitment – Our Board is very active. We need you to commit the time to be an active and impactful Director. At GGC, this means approximately 5-15 hours/week (sometimes more for larger portfolios) for a 3-year term from June 2022 - June 2025. You must attend 4 to 5, one or two-day Board meetings (maximum of two are in-person) and an Annual General Meeting (currently in-person) each year. Some travel may be required. You also must be willing to become a member and supporter of GGC.
What you get from us
Having a seat on the GGC Board is an opportunity to play an essential leadership role in an organization at a pivotal point in its 100+ year history. You will have the chance to govern and steward the transformation of Canada’s largest and oldest movement for girls and women, as it undertakes a profound transformation and growth that will, if we get this right, have a significant impact on the lives of girls across Canada.
You will become a catalyst for girls empowering girls and help them meet the most important person in their lives – themselves. You will supportively provide leadership to the incredible adult volunteers who deliver on our Vision and Mission. With girls at the centre of our decision making, this is an opportunity to ensure that GGC is a safe space where every girl in Canada can have the voice and choice to be everything she wants to be.
So…can you see it now…a better world, by girls
How to Apply
If you have the passion, professional experience, commitment and diversity to be an impactful member of the GGC Board of Directors, please apply by Friday, May 6, 2022, at 11:59 PM PT. The current available positions include:
Step 1: View the full Board recruitment package including governance structure, strategic plan overview, what being a member of GGC’s Board entails, our brand story, and the 2020 annual report with audited financial statements.
Step 2: Complete and submit your online application along with your resume and cover letter (hint - save the cover letter and resume as one file). Please note, for current or former members of GGC, your iMIS guiding record will only be used to confirm that you are a member in good standing. If you gained relevant skills or experiences while volunteering with GGC, please showcase these in your application, cover letter, and resume as applicable, but we also want to know the relevant experience you have outside of guiding.
The application form requires:
- Personal information – This includes contact information, optional questions around language fluency and diversity
- A skills and experience rating – Everyone has talents and strengths. We want to understand yours, to ensure that those joining the GGC Board have a wide breath of skills and that meets the organization’s needs. All experience counts (paid or volunteer). A reminder to ensure that your assessment is reflective of what is provided in your resume.
- Two (2) personal strength statements – We want to know more about you, so tell us:
- About your personal brand. What are you known for among your colleagues, friends, family and community? What are the top talents that people associate with you? (max. 1000 characters)
- Why do you want to be at our Board of Directors’ table now? What is drawing you to our organization and what can we expect you to bring? (max. 1000 characters)
- Multiple References – We ask that you provide contact to individuals that can speak to the depth and breath of your qualifications and the who know you well.
What happens after you submit?
Each year we receive more and more applications. The Nominating Committee is always blown away by the submissions from so many talented individuals. With increasing interest, we cannot contact all applicants and as such only those who move forward in the process will be contacted. Please check out our key dates to better understand the significant dates throughout the process.
All applications will be reviewed by the Nominating Committee and selected candidates will be invited to an interview. The Nominating Committee will make recommendations for each open board position to the full Board in June 2022 and the voting electorate will vote on the candidates who are put forward at the National Annual General Meeting on June 11, 2022.
Upon request, GGC will make available reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities during the recruitment process.
If you have questions, you may contact the Nominating Committee at email@example.com . We will do our best to get back to you as quickly as possible.
Thank you for your interest in GGC!