Guiding in New Brunswick
In 1909 at Hampton, NB, Girl Guides were organized by Miss Mabel Scovil and she was the leader until her marriage in 1911. Then they called themselves “Scouts”. This company was never registered and it closed for a time while Miss Scovil married. The company reopened and registered in 1915. So, officially, Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada were born in St. Catherine´s, Ontario in 1910formed and registered in London, England.
So with companies popping up here and there during the years from 1909, but not registered by 1915 Guiding in New Brunswick had a very healthy startfrom St. Stephen in 1919, followed by Saint John in 1920. Several companies were registered during 1920. Guiding in NB was centered for some time in Saint John and Passamaquoddy areas and Moncton and Fredericton quickly followed. Our founder and Olave made many visits to the Saint John and St. Andrews areas.
In 1926, one momentous step forward shows the formation of the Provincial Council of Canada, Girl Guides Association. Historic notes tell us of many Units starting around the Province and out-of-Province camps and events across Canada were represented by NB Guiding.
In 1928, Mrs. H. D. Warren, Chief Commissioner made her first visit to NB and the World Association was formed this year also. Fredericton held its first camp at Crocks Point near the McKinley Ferry. In 1928, Mrs. Allison was appointed the President of the New Brunswick Council. In 1929 at an executive meeting, they formed seven divisions and Division Commissioners were appointed which relieved the load for Provincial headquarters in Saint John.
This months feature - Adult Hats!
Finding names for pictured girls and leaders; left to right: Valerie Green, Mary-Lou Hamill, Ruby Henry